10 Things You Didn't Know About LP!
So I'm pretty nervous to post this. Mostly because although you guys all know 'LP' from Gains4Girls, there's a lot more about me that I don't share on Instagram! So I thought I'd share 10 facts about me with you guys so that you can get to know me and what I'm about a little better. I'd love to hear from you guys to please share some facts about yourselves in the comments below!
1) I’m SCOTTISH, not English. I have a distinctly London-accent which you probably have recognised if you follow us on snapchat (@gains4girls) which masks my Scottish heritage. But both of my parents are very Scottish, as is the rest of my family. We’re from a place called Dunoon on the west highlands, where lots of my family still run our family farm. This place really still has my heart and is incredibly special to me.
2) I spent the majority of my childhood in the Alps competing in Alpine ski racing – which on reflection I’m actually bloody proud of! I spent a lot of time skipping school (to be semi-home schooled in the Alps) and I competed for my nation on the Scottish Ski Team when I was 15/16. This taught me a few important things – firstly, how to build your quads, and secondly, to be independent and take ownership and accountability for myself – much of which has translated into Gains4Girls!
3) My favourite drink is gin (as of late I’m sure my friends will remind me) but I can’t believe I missed out on this for so long. My favourite combo is Hendricks and cucumber. Although prosecco does come a very close runner-up! A lot of people who are into the gym or fitness choose not to drink. I’m not one of these people, I love having a balanced life, and yes sometimes I drink too much! I’m a 21 year old girl so this isn’t about to change!
4) I absolutely love to travel and going on holidays. I don’t feel like I need to go away for a year, wear harem pants and come back with a tattoo to ‘find themselves’, but I love planning epic holidays to far-flung places of the world and exploring. This summer my boyfriend and I are travelling Indonesia and Bali for 6 weeks which I’m SO excited about. If anyone has any tips then please send me a message I’d love to hear them.
5) I'm about to graduate from the University of Leeds with (fingers crossed!) a first class honours degree in History. Although I absolutely LOVE blogging and Gains4Girls I am not a full-time blogger. I have a graduate job starting in September based in Canary Wharf and my title is a very serious ‘Financial Services Consultant’! Lots of people think this sounds boring but I can promise you it’s not. I did an internship at the firm for 6 weeks last summer and it was so dynamic and engaging I loved it!
6) My favourite food is PIZZA. I am absolutely crazy about it. It’s always top of my list for cheat meals (with Sainsburys triple-chocolate cookies a close runner-up/as well as a pizza).
7) I’ve had a boyfriend for 3 years *soppy alert*. He’s called Harry and is pretty great. He gets me like no one else does, keeps me balanced and grounded and always believes in me. As I said above we’re travelling Bali this summer together so you’ll probably see a fair amount of him!
8) The top two places you’ll find LP other than the gym are the countryside or yummy restaurants. There’s nothing I love more than going for a country walk in a beautiful part of Britain, preferably with a dog, then finding a delicious place to eat afterwards. Whether it’s a tiny country pub, or a Michelin star restaurant, I’m a complete foodie so deliciousness is all I ask for!
9) I’m actually a relatively sensitive person. I know I come across as super confident (which I am, most of the time), I’ve battled anxiety the last couple of years. I’ve overcome a lot and I’m in such a great place now, but just as a warning, Instagram only shows the highlights. There have been both highs and lows over the past 18 months since Gains4Girls was born. I read every single comment that people leave, and although 99% of them are lovely, and although I try my best not to let the 1% of nasty people get to me, my skin is not always quite so thick!
10) I went to the same school (Surbiton High School) from ages 4-18 and I absolutely loved it. Being at an all girls school (please don't give me hate for going to a private school, my parents chose aged 4, not me!!) taught me that being a girl doesn't prevent you from achieve anything. It also taught me to value friendship and loyalty, which are two things that are very important to me!
If you’d like to know more about my life outside of the gym then give me a follow on my personal Instagram account - @lucyplender
Lots of love, LP xx